From: Hellfire #1063 @1303007 VirtualNET
Date: Sun Feb 04, 1996 16:48:15 Mountain

This section describes Ericsson's wide range of access network
systems designed for the modernisation of subscriber access networks.
They can be used with Ericsson AXE local exchange, or any other
local exchange equipped with the ETSI V5 standard interface or
using an analogue interface.
 
There is a choice of copper, fibre and radio technologies, so
network operators can be offered the most suitable solution for
each part of the access network, on the basis of factors such
as speed of introduction, bandwidth, subscriber mobility and operation
costs.
 
The access network - that part of a public telecoms network
that includes the local exchanges and subscriber access lines
- is generally an inflexible, unreliable and very costly part
of the public 
telecommunications network infrastructure. That must change if
new generations of services are to be marketed successfully.</I>
 
Now that public network operators in many countries face, or will
soon face, competition in network operation and service provision,
there is growing pressure on economic aspects of network and service
management.
 
The access network is coming in for special attention, since this
is the area of the network that must deliver a mix of services
to the end-user. It is also traditionally the most costly part
of the network to build, operate and maintain. (Typically, the
access network with its local exchanges accounts for three quarters
of network capital cost.)
 
There are two competing economic pressures: on the one hand revenue,
and on the other hand the costs of achieving that revenue.
 
It is business traffic that generates the largest share of network
revenues and profits. The figure often quoted is that 80% of revenues
come from business subscribers, as compared with 20% from residential
subscribers.
 
from a customer administration, operation and maintenance viewpoint,
however, the balance is the other way round. Residential access
lines account for 80% of the cost, and business only 20% of the
cost.
 
Both these economic driving forces together signal the need for
more advanced, more resilient access network infrastructures.
They must be capable of delivering narrowband, wideband and broadband
services, with higher quality, easier manageability, greater flexibility
and lower lifecycle costs than today.
 
Forecasts suggest that there will be a marked increase in fibre
and radio access, while copper-based networks, especially in developing
countries, will also see continued growth. Access network modernisation
plans must take these forecasts into account.
 
An unpredictable future
 
Predicting the future mix of services - and the access network
technologies and architectures needed to deliver them - is impossible.
Will there ever be single, multi-service, broadband subscriber
accesses? Will fibre or radio be the preferred delivery technology,
or will the huge installed base of copper fight off the challenge?
Will the service providers of the future be niche operators, each
with its own unique access network? Or will there be multi-service
operators employing a whole variety of access technologies?
 
In liberalised telecommunications markets, it is becoming clear
that operators from different traditions have different approaches
to access network development. Some PTOs are naturally keen to
exploit their existing copper networks, and employ alternative
technologies (such as high-bandwidth overlay networks or fixed
radio access) wherever they are strictly justified. Mobile operators
naturally seek to introduce new high-bandwidth services using
cellular radio access. Cable TV operators are interested in using
their coaxial and fibre-optic cable access networks for delivering
a wider range of services.
 
As the regulatory environment relaxes further and new operators
enter the market, choices of technology and network architecture
are likely to be almost entirely based on commercial factors.
ustomer needs.
 
To meet this requirement, Ericsson has brought together its expertise
in key technologies, such as switching, transmission and radio,
to create a comprehensive range of access network systems with a
choice of copper, optical fibre or radio connection technologies.
The systems meet virtually any access network application for
residential and business services customers in urban, suburban
and rural networks.
 
Ericsson Access Network products
 
Management: The Ericsson Access Network Management System
provides computer-based monitoring and control of an entire access
network - up to a theoretical limit of 100,000 users - from a
central location. It is the software 'glue' that will bind the
mix of Ericsson Access Network hardware elements together into
a seamless network solution.
 
Flexible multiplexers: Ericsson has a range of flexible
multiplexers for business and other applications requiring a single
point of access to a mixture of ISDN, PSTN and data services at
bandwidths up to 2Mbit/s. There are three families of flexible
multiplexers in the range: RSM, which offers basic PSTN 64kbit/s
voice and data services for up to 60 subscribers; UMUX, which
offers mixed voice, data and video services at up to 2Mbit/s for
up to 120 subscribers; and DIAmuX, which offers mixed voice, data
and video services at up to 2Mbit/s for up to 500 subscribers.
 
ATM access: The Ericsson ATM Access Unit (AAU) brings a
range of broadband business services to the access network. It
can be used to provision ATM and other high-bandwidth services
through a variety of customer interfaces. Virtually any business
communication need can be met, including LAN interconnect, switched
or unswitched data services and PBX interconnect.

Passive optical networks: The Ericsson Raynet LOC2i passive
optical network (PON) system provides a flexible fibre access
infrastructure for a wide range of residential and business services.
Intended for new networks or replacement of ageing copper networks,
LOC2i offers a 'future-proof' transmission, ready for the broadband
services of the future. The system supports virtually any fibre
deployment architecture, including fibre-to-the-serving-area (FTTSA),
fibre-to-the-curb (FTTC), fibre-to-the-building (FTTB), and fibre-to-the-home
(FTTH).
 
Cable TV distribution system: The Ericsson Raynet Video
System, RVS provides an optical fibre alternative to coaxial systems
for the distribution of cable television (CATV) and future broadband
services. Like LOC2i, RVS supports virtually any level of fibre
deployment in the network.
 
Fibre-optic transmission systems: The Ericsson FOLT 4 x
2Mbit/s fibre-optic transmission system allows 2Mbit/s access
services to be provided over high-quality, interference-free optical
fibre over distances of 25km, or more.
 
Radio in the Local Loop: Ericsson radio in the local loop
(RLL) systems use cellular techniques for radio connection of
fixed subscribers in urban and rural networks. Subscribers use
standard telephones, and can also connect fax machines and modems.
There are two RLL systems in the Ericsson Access Network product
range. RAS 1000 provides PSTN service connections over analogue
radio at distances up to 50km. A new RLL system called DRA 1900,
based on the DECT (Digital European Cordless Telecommunications)
digital radio standard, offers efficient coverage in high-density
applications (several thousands of subscribers per square kilometre)
at distances of up to 2.5km.
 
Wireless Business Group Services: Using the Freeset DECT-based
business cordless telephone system, portable telephone extensions
can be provided for centrex-type applications, such as Ericsson's
Business Group Services (BGS) package for AXE. Freeset uses digital
radio technology (based on the international DECT standard) to
offer a high-capacity system, able to support the high number
of telephone extensions found in large offices and industrial
sites, where densities can reach 50,000 users per square kilometre.

Copper loop enhancement: Wire-line access networks will
continue to exist, and expand, for many years to come. Ericsson
has a range of copper loop enhancement products to help operators
get the best out of their existing wire-line access networks.
These include PCM 4, Tucom 0+2, Tucom 0+12, Digital Pair Gain
systems, which allow two to twelve subscribers to share the same
access line, and HDSL/ADSL transmission systems, which allow 2Mbit/s
subscriber services to be carried over ordinary copper links.
 
Standardised exchange interface
 
With the introduction of a generic interface for all manufacturers'
local exchanges, the access network may be 'decoupled' from the
exchange, creating a new open market for access products and systems.
 
Ericsson started the trend towards standardised exchange interfaces
with its proprietary ESM protocol. Today Ericsson employs the
ETSI V5.1 standard interface for its access network products for
fibre telephony. A standardised interface to the host local exchange
allows the most appropriate access node to be selected for each
service requirement. All V5.1-equipped exchanges will be able
to support any or all of the different access service nodes.
 
A more detailed look at each of the access network products for
use with Ericsson AXE or other vendors' local exchanges. Network
operators can select the most appropriate system for each access
network application, according to the needs of bandwidth and service
provisioning, deployment speed, mobility, economy and manageability.
 
Access Network Management System
 
The Access Network Management System is one of the most important
aspects of the Ericsson Access Network portfolio. The access network
is changing from being a largely passive, copper-based network
into a multi-service, multi-technology network, in what is becoming
a fiercely competitive market. Efficient and flexible management

BÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜ0
X  20 Miles North of Nowhere  (303)932-1195  Littleton, CO   M1986-1996X   OMF  0
-ßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßß0