Plate 8 from the second set of Thomas and William Daniell’s ‘ #Oriental Scenery.’ After the establishment of the Company’s factory at #Madras in #1639, weavers and merchants were attracted from many other south #Indian centres, and settled along the coast north of Fort St George, in what became known as ‘Black Town,’ as opposed to the ‘White Town’ in the fort. Black Town was also included within the foritifcations of Madras. The area was renamed #Georgetown after the visit of King George V. The large domed building is the #Armenian Church of #1772, and to its left the minarets of a mosque built by Muhammad Ali, the Nawab of the Carnatic. Creator: Artist and engraver : Daniell, Thomas (1749-1840)

http://www.europeana.eu/portal/record/92037/73073EBB780498A51B2D276FC1AA8A4EDD600609.html

բնօրինակ սփիւռքում(եւ մեկնաբանութիւննե՞ր)